Dolgellau.Wales
Dolgellau Station in the Early 1960s

Dolgellau Station in the Early 1960s

Photos of the Old Railway
Dolgellau was a crossing station on the Ruabon to Barmouth railway line. The line opened on 4th August 1868 and closed to passengers on 18th January 1965 as a result of the Beeching Axe.

Dolgellau was the last station on the Great Western Railway and the start of the Cambrian Company’s line to Barmouth Junction (until the Cambrian Railway line was absorbed).

The station changed its name from Dolgelly to Dolgelley and finally to Dolgellau in 1960. The station was finally demolished in the late 1970s to make way for the A470 Dolgellau bypass which follows 1.5 miles of the trackbed as it leaves the town (opposite The Marian).

The rest of the trackbed to the still-active Morfa Mawddach station (at the southern end of Barmouth Bridge) is now the route of the popular Mawddach Trail which runs from Dolgellau to Barmouth, via Penmaenpool and Arthog.
THE BUILDINGS (LISTED IN A 1924 REPORT):

UP-SIDE:

Station Master’s Office
Combined Booking and Parcels Office
Ladies Waiting Room
General Waiting Room
Refreshment Room
Old Footwarmer’s Room
Two Lavatories and a Guard’s Room

DOWN-SIDE:
Former Cambrian Station Master’s Office and Booking Office (Disused)
General Waiting Room
Ladies Waiting Room
Two Lavatories
STAFF:
1 Station Master (Class 2)
2 Clerks (Class 5)
1 Junior Clerk
2 Signalmen (Class 4)
1 Checker (Class 2)
2 Goods Porters
1 Passenger Guard
2 Porter Guards
2 Goods Guards
2 Lad Porters

The Traffic Receipts for 1924 Were:
Passengers £6,577
Parcels £1,485
Goods £9,930
TOTAL £17,992
Where to Stay in Dolgellau
  • Cross Foxes
  • Gwernan Hotel
  • Ty Seren
  • Dolgun Uchaf
  • Borthwnog
  • Penmaenuchaf
Dolgellau.Wales

This website is Copyright © 2017 Ian King - MSS Studios - Designed by Website.Wales.

Booking.com
If you are looking for accommodation, there are B&Bs and Hotels on the Dolgellau section of the Booking.Com Website.