Dolgellau was a station on the Ruabon to Barmouth railway line. The line opened on 4th August 1868 and closed to passengers on 18th January 1965 as a result of the Beeching Axe.
The station changed its name from Dolgelly to Dolgelley and finally to Dolgellau in 1960. The station was finally demolished in the late 1970s to make way for the A470 Dolgellau bypass which follows 1.5 miles of the trackbed as it leaves the town (opposite The Marian).
The rest of the trackbed to the still-active Morfa Mawddach station (at the southern end of Barmouth Bridge) is now the route of the popular Mawddach Trail which runs from Dolgellau to Barmouth, via Penmaenpool and Arthog.